Friday, January 04, 2008

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Animal Collective – Strawberry Jam

So this is what insanity sounds like.

Take “jam” literally since this album playfully squishes pop, noise, electronics and hymnals into a sweet little confection. Admittedly, I’m a latecomer on this album. Actually, I can’t say that I’ve ever been the guy waving the Animal Collective flag from the float on the parade. I’ve listened attentively, but eventually forgot their previous albums. Alas, no true sticking points for me.

I’ve been running jam through my brain for close to a week and I feel this one’s different. Whether it’s the spurting electronics that play like Jackson Pollock or the angelic countermelody of the background singing, Strawberry Jam feels like a definitive statement from Animal Collective.

For Reverend Green’s skiprope guitar or #1’s Age of Aquarius synth chords and downtuned vocals are definite highlights. I recommend listening to it, and maybe even joining the float too.

No comments: